Manhattan Municipal Monuments
Manhattan's first pioneers were interested in educating themselves and expanding their knowledge. In 1900, a group of women believed Manhattan should have a public library and formed the Manhattan Library Association. The group had raised $5,000 through various efforts. The plan was to build the library on a lot at 5th and Poyntz owned by the Manhattan Institute. Andrew Carnegie, businessman and philanthropist, was an avid supporter of public libraries. In 1904, Andrew Carnegie granted the city of Manhattan $10,000 for a public library. The Carnegie Free Public Library of Manhattan opened with 1,000 books on its shleves in December of 1904 and remained popular until a new library facility was dedicated in 1969. The original building is located just to the west of the courthouse and presently houses the county attorney's office.