Manhattan High School
The Senior High School building, a three story structure of native limestone, was authorized in February, 1913 and occupied in September, 1914 to house a four-year high school including grades seven and eight. The school was built on the site of the old Avenue School building at the southwest corner of 10th and Poyntz Avenue. The school consisted of fourteen academic classrooms, a foods laboratory, a woodworking hop, a clothing room, two science laboratories, a study hall, library, gymnasium, auditorium, principal's office, superintendent's office, and restroom facilities. The building accommodated nearly 450 students. The architects of the school were Sayler & Seddon and H.B. Winter, and the contractor was F.B. Crites. The cost of the building was $110,000. The rooms were ventilated through windows and heated by a vacuum system. A Junior High School was built east of the original building in 1917 and an annex connecting the buildings in 1924. A new high school on Sunset Hill was built in 1957 and the Junior High School took over both of the original buildings. It was renovated and renamed the Manhattan Middle School in 1979.