Manhattan City Park
When Manhattan was founded in 1855 and the site was platted for the sale of lots, 45 acres were reserved for a town park in the west part of the townsite. This section was later bordered by a hedge of osage orange trees which beautified the park for many years. Today, the park has the same dimensions as in 1855, including four blocks long and three blocks wide. This ran south to Poyntz Avenue and north to Fremont Street, east by 11th Street and west by 14th. An annual Riley County Fair was held in the park during the 1870' and 18
The fountain in Manhattan City Park was bought in 1895 with money raised by the women of Manhattan. The obelisk in the park was dedicated to Chief Tatarrax, seen by Coronado in 1541. The monument was put up by the Quivira Historical Society in 1904.